Things my mother told me ...

1
1:47 PM
Did your mother ever nag you to clean your room? Brush yo' teef? Save your pennies? My mother (probably) insisted I do all three. Not likely in ebonics, but my memory is spotty. It could totally happen. Totally ... but I digress.

Saving pennies is a fruitful venture. We hadn't intended to cash them in when we did, but I couldn't really leave them all over the floor. OKAY, backstory: As I was closing our closet door last Friday (Heading to Portland), I used my foot to push the vintage glass jug in front of the door so Lola didn't make a nest in my underwear (again) .. Well, there are two jugs there .. the smaller penny jar, holding approximately a gallon of pennies, and the larger (5 Gallon) jug, to hold the silver change. Well, I knocked the pennies into the silver change and busted the penny jar. So they got shuffled into a box, we vacuumed the glass and skipped town.

When we got home, we decided to let coinstar handle the mess I made:




As you can see, saving pennies really adds up. Did you know a gallon of pennies is almost fifty bucks? If you opt for a gift card or eCertificate instead of cash, you don't have to pay their lousy (9.8%!) counting fee! We decided to get a card we can actually use ..




Lesson learned? I guess it's "don't kick the pennies"?


xoxo

About the author

Lanny is a reluctantly-homeowning anthropologist busying herself with blogging while her husband does all the work on their historic house. In her abundant spare time, she likes to cycle, perfect breakdancing moves, perform at all local rap battles, and research the original owner and map his genealogy in hopes of lurking his descendants on Facebook.

1 comment :