The age old question: fix it, or replace it?

0
7:39 PM
At the risk of sounding like a hoarder, I am the kind of person who holds onto things for way too long in the event that they become useful to me once again.  My husband hates this about me, and is always looking for ways to trim our excess.
One way we see eye to eye, however, is in our tendency to salvage and repurpose bits and pieces around the house.  Everything is so costly, that it doesn’t make sense for the average do-it-yourself-er to toss everything and buy new (in my opinion, inferior) materials.

The subject comes to mind, primarily because of this article I read over the weekend
This quote, in particular, resonated with both of us:

Faucher said Friday that windows are a frequent issue before the commission because home and business owners think the only way to increase efficiency is to replace. But Faucher, a preservation architect, said repairs can make existing windows work better. And most commissioners will allow either interior or exterior storm windows.


In part, because it’s a frequent topic of conversation*, but also because it’s getting colder and we’re always looking for ways to cut our heat bill – usually by hunting for cracks and vulnerable spots around the house.   I spent the last few days looking at all the photos I’ve got stored on my laptop, and I stumbled across a major window overhaul the mister did a while back.


He worked so hard to restore our bedroom window and improve its efficiency.   It’s worth mentioning that it cost a little, but his time and the material cost was nothing compared to the burden of replacing the window with a new one.   Not to mention how gutted we’d both be if we had to replace our gorgeous double-hung windows with ugly, builder-standard vinyl**.


* Unsolicited advice

** I’m a snob, and I’m not sorry.


About the author

Lanny is a reluctantly-homeowning anthropologist busying herself with blogging while her husband does all the work on their historic house. In her abundant spare time, she likes to cycle, perfect breakdancing moves, perform at all local rap battles, and research the original owner and map his genealogy in hopes of lurking his descendants on Facebook.

0 comments :